Session One: Why write a bible?
- Where this workshop is going – for you to build your bible.
- Anticipate the coming wave; it’s usually too late to ride a wave that’s peaking.
- Series versus episodic and the possible strengths of a series-episodic hybrid.
- Television versus streaming.
- Making a show for Youtube and marketing it.
- Your logline and how to hone it so it will work for you.
- Your series pitch and how to adjust what you have to make the pitch work.
- Understanding your prime sales tools.
Session Two: Honing your pilot
- The pilot is an important sales tool because it’s a “template” for your series.
- Are your characters “castable”? I.e. will they attract talented actors and stand out?
- Do your characters have sustainable built-in conflict that will last 100 episodes?
- Think ahead to your first season, your first 100 episodes, and your bible.
- A “must have” check-list for the pilot.
Session Three: Your all-important first season
- What your second episode (right after pilot) must accomplish.
- How to tell serial stories in pods.
- How to see structure in unconventional series stories.
- How to pace a series first season.
- How to weave character arcs with plot lines.
- How to build to a resounding final episode.
- What to resolve in a final episode, and what to leave unanswered.
Session Four: Writing your bible
- How bibles develop over a show’s life.
- The key selling points of a strong series bible.
- What should be in your bible’s “Genesis.”