I love this course.
WEEK 1: STARTING TO WRITE FICTION
WEEK 2: THE HABIT OF WRITING
What works best for you?
There’s no right way to write; only the one that’s best for you. This will be a matter of trial and error.
- Do you work best late at night, or early in the morning? Do you prefer silence or does music help?
- Do you need coffee?
- Would you want to write in bed (some writers do)?
- Would a café or library be better for you?
Heightening your observations
Sometimes, the best inspiration comes after the first line, or more likely still, after writing a few pages
Remember: once you’ve reached the end, you can always go back and ‘add on’ or improve your beginning.
WEEK 3: WRITING IS EDITING
Rereading, reviewing and rewriting your work are crucial and often ongoing activities.
- Do the characters come across vividly?
- Is any of your word usage surprising? Does it help the reader to ‘see’ the characters?
- Now that you look at it again do you think any of the descriptions are predictable and dull?
- Are any of the words and phrases you have used too familiar?
© The Open University